Gaining Early Awareness and Readiness for Undergraduate Programs
What is GEAR UP?
- Federally funded, 7 year matching grant
- Designed to increase the number of low-income students who are prepared to enter and succeed in postsecondary education
- Our grant is a partnership between OUSD and MiraCosta College
- Grant was awarded in Fall 2011 with full implementation at Jefferson Middle School and Cesar Chavez Middle School by January 2012
Who do we serve?
- The GEAR UP grant serves an entire cohort of students beginning no later than the seventh grade and follows the cohort through high school graduation
- Our cohort consists of all students who will graduate in 2017 and 2018 at Oceanside High School and El Camino High School
- GEAR UP cohort students are currently in the 7th and 8th grade at Jefferson Middle School and Cesar Chavez Middle School
- 2013 – 2014 school year, 2017 cohort will double in size, as we will include students from Lincoln and King Middle schools. Program will be split between the middle schools and the high schools
- 2013 – 2014 school year, 2018 cohort will double in size, as we will include students from Lincoln and King Middle schools. Program will be at the high schools only
What do we do?
- We provide opportunities (activities, programs, events, and services) that will help our students acquire the academic skills, planning information, financial assistance and support they need to stay in school and succeed in postsecondary education.
· Tutoring: in-class, lunch time, after school
· College Visits
· Summer Academies
· Leadership Development
· Access to specialized programs and services (Junior Achievement, Naviance, Readistep)